Friday, August 1, 2014

Last week of July

This week has come and gone, it’s Friday and it’s my day off but since I have nothing else to do I’m still working! On my first week here I was asked to do a story on a little girl name Emily. She was diagnosed with leukemia just before her second birthday. Today she is now cancer free and living a good life with her family. It’s an honor to be given a story like this so quickly into my tenure here. The EP of the morning show could just e blowing smoke up my ass but challenge accepted! This week I got to work with all but one reporters this shift has to offer. Monday I worked with the versed report Dave Marquez, I heard the stories of him being wild, brash but amazing to work with. Unfortunately for him and me, he was ill and he just wasn't himself. All day he stayed hunched over as if he was about to take his last breath. I've never seen a man look so close to death and be far from it. Our story was simple, easy, and fun. A man using his drone got video of the Sand Fire. Drones have been a hot topic for many people, these drones are small and meant more for family shots and are nowhere near the size of the military. Fire officials heard of his flying and contacted asking him to stop, the viewer stopped cause he meant no harm, he just “wanted to get video and show my friends”. The story was a challenge because we got a late start, and Dave wasn't himself. In the end, I think the story was solid! Perfect illustration of what I can do when having to shoot fast, and work with someone completely new (to me). Tuesday I got to work with Carlos Saucedo on a water shortage story (one of many I’m sure, fourth since I've been here). The new California regulation is now in effect and we had a viewer sends us video of his neighborhood where many people misuse water. The story could have been better on my end but my GoPro wasn't working. Either way, I filled it with nats and shots and made air without a hitch. Wednesday left me with Gabriel Roxas on what was a very interesting story. We were sent off to a place FBI calls “the compound” to attempt to speak with what FBI calls “dangerous gang members”. After getting some quick B-roll one of those members came up to us, friendly as can be he asked what we were doing. We told him that the FBI had arrested some of his “brothers” on a few gun and drug chargers. He was upset but thankfully not with us, he was calm and actually spoke to us on camera and said flat out “Vagos is not a gang, but a motorcycle club” he later added “we do things for the community to help not destroy”. The story its self was a great get! Very rare do these stories pan out. I won’t lie I was a little worries about my safety, in Bakersfield I have no fear. Out here being so far away from anyone I really know make a big difference! Thursday I got to work on a story I would care about and with the only reporter I knew before coming Siemny Chhuon. The kings are starting to take down the old plaza downtown where the new arena is going to be. Thursday we talked to people who are happy, don’t care and will be affected by all the construction. Pretty easy day and better then that solid week of work great way to end the last week of July

No comments:

Post a Comment